W inter Furniture Store and Funeral Home was established in 1953 when George Winter purchased Schutter Furniture Store and Funeral Home in Buffalo Center from Art Schutter. George also owned and operated the Ambulance service in Buffalo Center until the late 1960's.
In 1981, the funeral home business expanded in Thompson with the opening of the visitation chapel located at 245 S. Harrison St.
George continued to own and operate both the furniture store and the funeral home until 1990 when the furniture store closed and George announced his retirement. George's sons Bart and Kirk took over the operations of the funeral home in 1990 and purchased Mittelstadt Funeral Home in Lake Mills from Bob and Dotty Mittlestadt, Bart moved to Lake Mills while Kirk stayed in Buffalo Center and became president of Winter and Sons in 1994 and in 2002, Kirk took over sole ownership of Winter Funeral Home & Cremation Service.
Our recent expansion project came in 2003 when our new facility in Blue Earth celebrated it's grand opening on June 2nd.
In July 2003, Winter Funeral Home & Cremation Service celebrated 50 years of service to Northern Iowa and Southern Minnesota and will continue to serve our families with quality service at fair prices for years to come.